...About my plans for upcoming employment. A week ago today, we had an impromptu office meeting over signing contracts with the hospital. The office manager brought out three contracts with four employees sitting there. The other receptionist told me later she nearly passed out, thinking she had been sacked. But it turns out I was the one who wasn't getting a contract. The news being delivered by my dad that way was as much a surprise to me as it was to anyone else I think. He himself wasn't prepared to have to announce things in that manner.
The hospital had asked point-blank who was going to work with the office long-term, and he was obligated to tell them I wasn't planning to continue, so they opted not to hire me instead of hiring me for only 3-4 months. While I understand that reasoning, it was still shocking to learn that I only have 2 months before I'm unemployed, but I still have a minimum of 6 months before I'd depart; that's IF the immunizations ever arrive after being back-ordered for 2 months. It also means I suddenly have to save every cent possible since I'll have about 8-12 fewer paychecks than I was counting on. That's unfortunate, given the timing of plans already set in motion for charities and supporting other people.
Also, I'll have to move back in with my parents for at least four months. So I must start cleaning and moving belongings back, beginning last week... Mom seemed okay with that and even offered to assist with some finances if I needed the extra time to finish moving when my work has officially ended and I have more time to dedicate to the cause. I hope that won't be necessary. Expenses I feel obligated about are already piling up on my mental list, even if my parents are *not* expecting any reimbursement. At least we have the week off at the office since dad studies in Atlanta this week for his annual CME credits. I haven't achieved much, but perhaps some momentum is in place.
On a positive note, I no longer have to feel like I need to try to keep secrets from the office staff about Korea plans due to hopes of maintaining my job longer by not stirring up waves of uncertainty. The office manager knew I was making other plans (she had been given the generalities out of necessity), but my explanation of South Korea teaching at that meeting shocked everyone except my dad. Admittedly, it sounds like a rather large step from being a filing clerk in middle Tennessee to becoming an English teacher in South Korea.
I'm still hesitant to tell people all at once, because I don't have certification yet, I haven't contacted the recruiter yet, I'm months away from an interview, and half a year away from a visa (pretty depressing when I put it in those terms, I just realized... Time goes quickly at work, but I just internalized that I won't have work to help me pass the time, just allergy-filled cleaning sessions, ESL volunteering, and maybe lots of... eBay selling... or something). I did tell my church elder though (a dear friend of the family). We talked about it for a decently-long conversation this past Sunday night, actually. He said he and his wife will be praying, and he was excited about my potential to reach many people through that vocation.
Language-learning has unfortunately slowed. I don't even know what I took a break for, but somehow it turned into two and a half weeks without learning, and when I went back last week it was almost impossible to get good (*ahem* aka "perfect....") scores. I haven't tried since, but I will make another attempt after completing this 'blog entry. Evidently, the only way to persevere is to decide to get back on the bike, as it were. Similarly to YMCA attendance, I just have to choose to resume the process, rather than waiting to be told. Hey, it's like I'm a grown-up or something. Ha, being excited that vacation allowed me time to clean house should have clued me in to that. *wink*
No comments:
Post a Comment