Any "today" references are to Aug 18. Monday completely knocked me off my feet! I had a full day's work, a 65-minute elliptical run at the gym, and I started my TEFL certification course, plus studied some more of the Korean language. By the end of the day I was completely drained, and couldn't have stayed up past midnight if I had possibly wanted. Perhaps I wasn't counting on the exhaustion factor with using synapses of my brain that have been relatively neglected for the past year or two.
At least the course seems quite reasonable, if I can manage to arrange a practicum setup within the allotted time. I'm one of about four others in the class with actual teaching experience, if I remember right from the class introduction posts. It looks like we have twenty-three actively posting students, and it's fun getting to read their comments and ideas about the mini writing prompts! One interesting aspect is seeing how many of the future teachers much more fully identify with students as opposed to thinking of themselves as teachers yet. I seem to recall a grid in Erika Lindemann's A Rhetoric for Writing Teachers that showed how people transition from students to teachers, and I can see varying levels of that transition among my classmates. So far, we have only covered very rudimentary ideas, but it may get more valuable and in-depth as we go on. Honestly, I appreciate the gradual start to ease back into a student mentality, especially since I'm still working full-time, trying to go to the gym fairly often, and having to think about moving all at the same time.
I had a good birthday, flood-inducing rain notwithstanding. My co-workers had arranged a fun setup all around my desk with streamers, balloons, gifts, flowers, and a card waiting for me, and one had made a delectable ice cream sandwich "cake"! It's strange to think that on my birthday next year, I will probably be in South Korea! One friend even thoughtfully posted a FaceBook happy birthday greeting in Korean! That was a wonderful treat, since still only a few people would understand the significance of that post and language. This was actually my third birthday in this apartment, since I moved here in Aug. 2, 2008! Time does pass quickly. As an unpleasant aspect of the day, the town where I live flooded quite seriously today, with torrential downpours lasting for hours. A train got derailed, the nurse's apartment got flooded and she lost nearly everything due to water damage, cars were underwater, and a few roads washed out. Despite that, I stayed safe, mostly dry, and got to have a fun birthday celebration with my family. Mom made sure I had a cake I liked, pizza that suited all tastes, a movie I chose, and thoughtful gifts. My sister even knit me a wool hat to keep me warm in South Korea! It's beautiful, with tones of greys and with a soft fleece lining to keep it from being itchy. I feel very blessed!
Finally the immunizations arrived! The medical supply company contact stopped by the office on Tuesday stating it would be another 6 weeks minimum before they could deliver our adult doses of Hepatitis B vaccines; however, if we changed the order to pediatric doses and just doubled those up, we could get those right away! So the nurse changed the order, and sure enough, the vaccines arrived today! I ended up getting a shot on my birthday. My sister was at work helping with collections, so she held my hand (and reminded me to breathe) while my dad administered the doubled pediatric vaccine. I really hope that stuff counts. My arm felt a little funny, and my sister said my face lost color for about 10 seconds, but otherwise I had no shock-like responses like I have had in the past. I have to admit he's good at giving shots...
So that's it, my first step to a departure date, and it happened on my birthday! God gave me an unexpected gift, that's for sure. Now I just have to work out my arm so I can get rid of the resulting stiffness and soreness. Oh, and I should probably cancel the health dept. appointment, since I hate it so much when people no-show at our office!
No comments:
Post a Comment