That's the date I wanted to have a 'blog entry, just for the fun of it, but I was pretty worn out from WhedonFest and the dreaded First Day Back (from vacation). I'll have to settle for using it as a title since I couldn't think of one for this entry ...yet.
Upon the blog recommendation of ones Simon and Martina (I am starting to be convinced they could convince me to buy time shares, Amway, or even a Snuggie, but anyhow), I bought a Lonely Planet Korean phrasebook, which arrived rather promptly. It's a fairly handy-looking book, with sections color-coded by theme, though the primary selling point was the well-organized sound/letter chart for vowels and consonants. It contains such useful phrases as "stupid internet!" and "I am an American, but I didn't vote for ______."
Usage of that nature sounds more practical than the sentences Rosetta Stone is teaching me, like, "The policeman is on his horse," but oh well. Over the long run, I will probably appreciate the learning program's methods of learning to speak, with which a phrasebook won't actually help me. I DO need to use Rosetta Stone more than twice...okay, once... a week though.
Monday marks the beginning of my TEFL certification course. I still have the persistent nagging feeling that this particular company is a scam, charging far more than the amount you get back is worth, but I will have the opportunity to judge firsthand soon enough. I'm not amused by the $110 combined fees for a digital textbook and workbook, especially after having paid for, downloaded, and skimmed over the books. *sigh* I do need to investigate about getting that official permission to print the course materials though. eBooks make me uncomfortable and distract me from learning as effectively.
Probably I won't be able to keep this under wraps much longer. If only I could come to terms with the whole idea myself: traveling overseas for a year to teach English, ahh! The few people I have told seem either excited for me or curious about the whole idea, asking about my reasoning. Neither response seems like a problem, so maybe airing this secret out will be refreshing rather than terrifying. As I told a friend this evening though, I am so tired to telling people I am going to do something and then not following through that I'm hesitant to continue my flakiness in this case. But I think this time it's legitimate. Just need to keep praying and telling myself that, to keep longing for the Land of the Morning Calm!
I have my first Hep B shot scheduled at the health dept for this coming Thursday, which I'm dreading but just want to get over with at this point. It seems the ones on back-order will be back-ordered for weeks to come, so I just gave up and made an appointment with the health department. I'm struggling with weakness of faith, as if I have anything to do with a time-frame here. The "what ifs" already haunt me, and I'm still so early in the process! "What if I had just gone ahead with seeking a shot in mid June? What if I have kept the appointment in the last week of July when I had it set up? What if I have missed not only the hiring season going on now, but also the main one next year too, due to this annoying 6-month vaccination span?!" but I'll go out on a [fairly well-supported] limb and say that maybe I'm not supposed to be leaving before Feb. 2011.
At least I had a wonderful day today. Days like today ought to be treasured, as well as the friends with whom those days are shared. Goodness, I just might manage to get to bed before midnight for once!
No comments:
Post a Comment