So far, the enormity of what I have to take care of, arrange, deal with, prepare, learn, and/or undergo before this can happen is only hitting me as a gradual realization. Maybe an occasional realization is a more accurate way of viewing the situation.
Mom "quizzed me" yesterday when we were eating out as a family, and when put on the spot, I couldn't produce the words I had been studying for hours on end. That was pretty frustrating. I could call them to mind about 5 minutes after she asked, but that makes for rather slow conversation...! :) I'm blessed to have a mother with a true teacher's heart though; I appreciate that she's checking in on my progress and doing her part to help me out. My brother-in-law was intrigued about the loan words I could recall, and wondered if there were quite a few of those.
Got some encouragement from an unexpected source. A friend was visiting from overseas with her family and we got to talking about teaching English/language abroad, which she has done for years. She gave me some stories from her personal experience, some suggestions, and exhorted me to follow up on my plans. Though I'm not planning on going through a mission organization this time as I had thought I might do for many years in the past when considering similar ventures, I'm reminded that that doesn't mean I am any less of a Christian in the workplace. In fact, my friend said it might even help a person's witness in some ways, since a "layperson" is perceived to have a closer grip on reality, and can relate to life more realistically. Something to think about anyway, and it was a good visit. It did mean talking about this hope in a semi-public setting, and I think at least a few people caught snatches of the conversation.
On that note, I wonder how long I should (or want to) keep this whole process mostly under wraps? I need prayer coverage, because even though I'm not going as a missionary, I still need the strength of a caliber that can only come by the grace of God. I would say, "I ain't skeered!" but I would be fooling only myself, if even me. While most workers abroad in developed countries do pretty well, sometimes tragedies do occur, as I was reminded today (a story that doesn't belong here). Besides my immediate family, I've only told a handful of others. I hope no beans will be spilled until my course is mostly finished.
Setbacks have been frustrating in getting the vaccinations that seem to be back-ordered. Nothing says I have to get Hep B shots before I go (or at least I haven't checked the CDC, WHO or State Dept travel warnings yet to know), but it's just something I don't want to have to worry about. I just loathe needles so much, or at least, the way I usually respond when they get stuck in me! Maybe it's for the best though. Even though it's just July and March seems ages and ages away, that is when the school season over there starts back again. I could do orientation and stuff, maybe English camps to warm up if I began in Jan. or Feb. More hiring options would be available if I waited until the peak season for job turnover.
I'd like to end on a witty quip, but I'm pretty drained from watching several Angel episodes, trying to finish the series before next weekend. Gosh, season 5 is good! Quite a roller coaster, but it includes some very powerful, sad, thought-provoking stuff. And The Funny, let's not forget The Funny. It's just one additional little goal to reach before this journey towards Morning Calm really gets underway!
No comments:
Post a Comment