Saturday, March 12, 2011

First pictures from around town

Hooray for that friendly person or business sharing their internet! I'm really going to try not to abuse this for too long, really. These are a few pictures from around town, on the route from school.


This first one is just a commercial building of some sort. I'm not sure what all is in it right now, but it gives you an idea of what it's like to walk down a street in Korea and being overwhelmed at first by all the signs!



This is the building I was told is a sort of model house (or many model houses, I guess). I'm not sure if it's open to the public or not, but it sounds like it would be sort of intriguing to see inside sometime.


It's a giant Jesus building, so presumably a church of some sort. There are numerous buildings with crosses on them, so I'm guessing that quite a few churches are in the area. Some of them are a little more subtle than this one.


An apartment building, to give you another sense of scale. The building I'm in isn't purely an apartment building like this one is though. It's kind of a pretty looking building though, don't you think? That's what many of the tallest buildings in my area seem to be: apartments.


Beer truck! It may have soju in some of the crates too. Lots of delivery people just sort of park in the street, blocking people and slowing traffic. It's an interesting experience. I'll try to take a picture of a crowded street one of these days. I pass stuff like this truck a lot between school and my apartment.


Entrance to a little children's park near where I live. It's in the midst of several apartment complexes and I think it's probably for the residents but anyone can access the park and walking trail. I've got a set of pictures from the park itself that I'll upload separately. This is also a good way to cut from one road to the other side without going allll the way around several blocks.


Not too much to say here: it's a sign with the city's name and some decorative graphic art. The road makes a big loop around a large portion of the city, and this sign is situated on one of the sharp turns in the loop.


Haven't figured out if this is actually a public playground or if it's more for a school or the apartments very close to it. There's usually a bus parked nearby and it's not a public transportation kind of bus. Regardless, it's interesting to look at on my walk.


Another example of a church building, with some surrounding shops.


Bus stop along the main loop road, with one of the fine specimens of local public transportation getting ready to depart. There isn't as much seating on the buses as I'd like, but they're usually pretty good. I'm glad we're approaching warmer seasons, because it's no fun to stand for a long time at the bus station waiting on one from the correct route to come by!


A corner marketplace! So far all I have bought there is oranges, but they were pretty good tasting and not much more expensive than anywhere else I've seen. Next to it on the right, sort of under the street sign, is a pharmacy.


Here's a view from the ground level of my building. It's sort of run down looking but I still can't complain.


Stairwell in my building. You'll notice the fine photo mural decoration that's either advertising something, or just adding some cheerful color. I forget what level that's on, maybe still the first level, but it's pleasant to look at.

And there we go, some daily sights!

No comments:

Post a Comment