The new year brought quite a list of new changes with it.
5 new co-teachers
1 new contract with 6-10 major changes
600 new students
1 new textbook
all new curriculum
a new desk space in the office
1 new managing (my paperwork) teacher
5 new classrooms (4 are not complete and 1 has no TV, speakers, or internet)
1 new vice principal
a new class schedule
4 additional class sections to teach compared to last year
And maybe a few other changes I've forgotten about. Collectively, that makes me feel in some ways like I've begun an all-new job. From one standpoint though, some of those are positive changes. Most of them feel negative, but I'm working on some attitude adjustment. As I've experienced for years, each semester is a new beginning with all sorts of changes, so it's just a matter of settling back in.
Getting past the jet lag was a major feat. When I arrived last year, I had already been putting myself through jet-lag for the 2 weeks leading up to my arrival in Korea. The misery was almost non-existent once I arrived. This time, I didn't have the luxury of staying on Korea time when I was back in America visiting, so I ended up experience jet-lag for around a month straight (2 weeks in the US and 2 weeks back here). Jet-lag makes me think super irrationally, so I need to be careful about making big decisions or having important interactions while under the effects of jet-lag.
Spring is on the way soon though, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the arrival of cherry blossoms again. It's starting to get a little warmer, I'm keeping up with my Korean class (I'm *taking* a Korean class!), and the new lessons are starting to make sense sometimes. I also feel like I'm getting a little bit sick though, so I've been downing vitamins every morning and doing my best to get to sleep by midnight. A second year in Korea will certainly be different. I'm still hoping for a few adventures along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment