Friday, September 16, 2011

Electric Convection Oven!

God does provide for our needs. I firmly believe that. He also gives us good things above and beyond our needs. A few weeks ago, I was sitting at work, slightly bored since my lesson was already planned out and tested. I figured, oh... why not check out Craigslist for a few minutes? Faced with the numerous links and product categories, I typed in "toaster oven" and then realized I didn't need to use that search anymore so I just left "oven." Click. Looking down the choices, I noticed that the top link was in the same town where I lived. Interesting... It was for an electric convection oven, slightly used, at less than half the price the owner had originally paid for it. It could be used for Yorkshire pudding, muffins, and other foods.

Needless to say, I made a quick reply. Maybe it belonged to a neighbor even, for all I knew. At least it would be a short distance to pick up the item. I heard back from the seller--the oven was still available. Plus, we figured out that we actually had met before, even sat next to each other at a foreign teacher community dinner that some of the foreigners had arranged a couple of months back! He had been contacted by several other interested buyers after I wrote, but he said he'd hold the item for me. We agreed on a price and meeting time, and in a few days I was off to get my oven! It was about a ten minute walk away--much closer than the last Seoul Craigslist purchase I made...!

He was a public school teacher about at the end of his contract, but he figured no one in town would want it, so he hadn't bothered posting it to our little community page on Facebook, and the way I see it, it was just God's timing that let me find it on Craigslist when I did. It saved him the effort of having to cart it off somewhere in Seoul, though he did still lug it all the way to the nearest taxi station, which was very kind. Not a heavy oven, but definitely awkward to carry in the summer heat. He also included some baking pans and a rolling pin, none of which I had owned for my toaster oven.

This oven is awesome. It has a removable rotisserie inside so I can cook all manner of good things, and it's got a fan to help spread around the heat. I don't get weird burn lines in my baking any more from the heating elements. Can't begin to describe my joy at being able to bake again. This neighbor's farewell party was just around the corner a few days later, so I was able to bring some fresh banana bread to share with the group. It's so wonderful to be able to share baking goodies again! I'm looking forward to finding an evening soon when I can whip up some cookies or brownies to share with friends or office mates. Shortening was tricky to find, but I may have finally come across some that'll work. We'll see if it works the same as Crisco... I even found a can of Pam cooking spray at a foreign food store that a friend took me to down in Suwon!

Since I have my little oven now--about the size of three toaster ovens--I was able to pass along the toaster oven to another friend who enjoys baking and cooking. Definitely feeling blessed, and I can't wait to share that blessing with others (in the form of delicious desserts and comfort foods)!

2 comments:

  1. God definitely does supply all our needs ... and often sends unexpected blessings our way! I know how much you love baking, and I'm so glad you were able to find an oven you like.

    ReplyDelete