Monday, February 21, 2011

Reflections on Partings

Fact: I don't like saying goodbye to people. I don't think I'm particularly skilled at it either, having lived in essentially the same place for 18 years. While I'm grateful for the stability that comes with a long-term home, it also means I haven't had to do much of this uprooting nonsense, so this blog post will be a little more reflective and mushy than my frequently factual fare. You've been warned. :)

I was driving back home late Thursday night (the 17th) after visiting with the ladies I meet for a monthly coffee night, my heart encouraged and my eyes misting up thinking of how valued I felt and how precious those gals who I won't see for a year are to me, and I got to thinking. Why is it we don't let people know more often how much we appreciate them? Why don't I do that more often, especially now that I've been on the receiving end of so many kind words, thoughtful prayers, and great big hugs? Inklings of the thought have occurred to me over the years as I've been the one waving goodbye to a departing friend, but it didn't strike me like that evening did. I guess it's because I take people for granted, thinking, "Well, they'll still be there next week for me to let them know I've been thinking of them this week."

Though I've been living here in my town long-term, I've said goodbye to plenty of people in this college town over the years, and sometimes the thought has flitted across my mind, "Why didn't I call them for coffee? I should have seen if they had time for a movie!" or "Why didn't I at least wave and say hi when I saw them in Walmart?" Regrets do nothing to change the past of course, and missed opportunities to be a better friend can't be undone, but in moving forward there's a lot of hope. It makes me want to be deliberate with my friendships, including those I'll be making in Korea, even knowing I'll probably only be there a short time relative to my history of building relationships. When I lived in Minnesota for a summer a few years ago, people didn't treat me like I was just there for the summer; they really invested in me, and I haven't forgotten! Will I succeed in being more deliberate with my friendships, doing my best to take advantage of chances to love others and encourage them when I can? Time will tell.

Right now though, I just want to express my general and heartfelt thanks to my friends and family for bearing with me so far (especially my parents who have seen more of my sinful side that I like to admit). You've all shared advice, contacts in/about Korea, words of encouragement, experience, and humor on Facebook, arranged get-togethers and/or movie nights with groups that I could attend and see lots of people, shared a hug or pat on the back, and generally made me feel buoyed up by friendship, prayers, and love. I'm so blessed to have such amazing friends and family, and my keen realization of that is one of the better results of this trip so far. (Okay, look.... I DID warn you this would be mushy, remember? M'kay, just checking.)

A verse from a hymn I like, "Ten Thousand Times Ten Thousand" by Henry Alford, goes:
"O then what raptured greetings on Canaan’s happy shore;
What knitting severed friendships up, where partings are no more!
Then eyes with joy shall sparkle, that brimmed with tears of late;
Orphans no longer fatherless, nor widows desolate."
Sounds like a day to look forward to, doesn't it? :)

My departure is Sunday the 27th, early. Maybe I'll still get to see a few more friends, though my time is shortening faster than I'd like now that I realize the really scary part of the adventure starts soon. I'm hoping to get back to my "normal programming" with one more blog post before I go, but we'll see. Rather than saying goodbye, I'll just say, "I'll see you later!" and trust God with the details!

(About the weird delay in posting time vs. appearance time! I wrote the post a week ago, but didn't have a chance to proofread or quote the song until the 25th. And back I go to packing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment