Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Trading One Freedom for Another

Tonight is the last one I am expecting to spend in the home I've had for nearly two years and three months. In spite of the anticipation for what I hope will come to pass with moving to Korea in as little as four months from now, I'm finding it hard to say goodbye to this place. My generation seems unique in that we twenty-somethings (and beyond, if the statistics are true) are returning to the nest en masse in between career stops. I'm not particularly proud of it, but I'm also not so proud that I'll turn it down in my season of need...!

Though I love my family and am looking forward to many aspects of more time with them, it's still difficult to say goodbye to this particular sort of autonomy I have enjoyed by being an independent adult. As I suggested in the entry title though, I'm probably going to have far more "freedom" than I ever reckoned for soon enough! Telling myself these comforts helps to an extent, but I can't completely reason myself out of nostalgia and a certain wistfulness as I look around at vacant rooms, deserted cupboards, and once-filled corners that are daunting in their echoing emptiness. Pardon the sentimentality. :)

So far, my cat has behaved herself amazingly well, though it might have something to do with the fact that I haven't touched the cat carrier or my suitcase yet. The former always means she's leaving, and the latter always means I'm leaving, neither of which are desirable to her since both break her security and cherished routine. It remains to be seen whether I think she can handle an international transition or not. One thing this present move will be good for is to see how well she adjusts to change now that she's a more settled adult cat.

I'm still waiting (rather impatiently!) for the non-results of the FBI check that's a required part of the Korean school and visa application process. That's holding up my whole getting-a-job process, but then again, I submitted the request a month ago and official website said it could take up to three months to process. No response yet though, and the gov't has not yet charged my credit card for the processing fees. Hmm. Looking back, I was certainly worried about the Hep. B shots coming in time, but that worked out just fine. This situation, equally out of my control, will probably have a similar outcome. Just the same, I plan to check on it tomorrow!

Well, I can only prolong the inevitable for so long. Getting some sleep before the last big day of moving, which leads into a BIG day of cleaning, would probably be wise. Signing out of my creek apartment (and farewell).

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! Are you moved back to your parents yet? I'll be praying for your kitty and the adjustment. And you too, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just moved out the final pieces of furniture this evening and put them in storage! Only a little bit of cleaning and the landlord's Monday inspection remains. So far my cat is content to hide in her new base of operations, the laundry room. Of course, no one has done laundry yet, so this may change. :) Thanks for praying! Hope the party goes well.

    ReplyDelete